Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tomato Relish

Tomatoes were $1.97/kg and were ripe and delicious.
I made some tomato relish.
We eat it as a spread on sandwiches and on the side with grilled steak, chicken or fish.


Ive had this recipe written on an old envelope for years.
I had called my Mum to get the recipe and wrote it down on whatever was at hand.

Tomato Relish
1.5kg tomatos
500g onions
1 tbs salt
2 cups sugar ( only use 1 cup, last year I found it to be too sweet)
3 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tbs dry mustard
2 cups brown vinegar

Chop the tomatoes and onions.
Sprinkle with salt and cover overnight.
Place in a saucepan.
Add sugar and stir over a low heat until dissolved.
Boil covered for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and boil uncovered for 1 hour.
Spoon it into sterilised jars.

2 comments:

  1. That's making me hungry and I've already had tea! I love recipes written down like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty but I'm still waiting for the apple pie recipe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete